Everyone remembers that jingle from the Chia Pet commercials, right? I can never get it out of my head any time I see the word Chia.. and recently I’ve seen it a lot in the blogsphere because Chia Seeds are everywhere! I’d never tried them for myself, but I like new things and I’ve heard they are really good for you, so I did a little research.
Here’s what I found. Chia seeds come from the Salvia Hispanica plant, which is a plant that grows in the desert and very liberally in southern Mexico. Some of the health benefits associated with Chia Seeds are:
- Rich in Omega-3 Fatty Acids
- High in fiber
- Also a source of calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, manganese, copper, iron, molybdenum, niacin, and zinc.
- Don’t have to be ground for your body to absorb their nutrients (like with flax seeds)
- When added to water, it forms a gel-like substance. This means a similar process happens in our stomach, meaning we stay fuller for longer after eating them.
- Helps your body stay hydrated because they absorb 10x their weight in water.
- Stabilizes your blood sugar because it slows the process of converting carbs into sugars (great for Diabetics)
- Have been found to lower blood pressure
- Can help with weight loss because they keep you fuller longer so you’ll eat less, and they lower your caloric intake when eaten with meals.
So, with all these benefits, I couldn’t wait to give them a try. You can put them into or on top of pretty much anything, so today I made some overnight oats with chia seeds.
Into the mix went:
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 scoop protein powder
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 mashed banana
- 1/2 container of Plain 0% Chobani
- 1/3 cup light soy milk
- Toppings: Dried strawberries and dried unsweetened coconut flakes
I am sooo full after this bowl! I think I’m going to start using 1/3 cup of oats instead of 1/2 cup because the chia seeds and the protein powder together in this have left me stuffed! Aren’t these dried strawberries so cute?
They have added sugar which I didn’t realize until after I got them but they are sooo tasty, and a little goes a long way. I ordered the dried strawberries, coconut flakes, and chia seeds from NutsOnline. They had really reasonable prices and the delivery was fast – I ordered Friday and it came yesterday. I’d definitely order from them again, but I got huge bags of everything so I shouldn’t need to for a while! 😉
Happy Hump Day!